Answers to commonly asked questions.
- What should I expect before my first Bodywork visit?
You may arrive early to complete a health history form or you may complete it before your arrival. Your therapist will ask general questions before your session to establish what areas or conditions need to be addressed and which type of bodywork is appropriate for you. The therapist may also perform certain assessments and testing to evaluate your condition.
- Where will my Bodywork Session take place?
Your bodywork session will take place in a warm, comfortable, quiet room. Soft music may be played to help you relax. You will lay on a table specially designed for your comfort with an infrared heat matt filled with tourmaline, jade and amethyst crystals in order to help you enter into Delta rest. You will have a closed door in your room in order to disrobe before and re-robe after your session.
- What do I wear during the Bodywork?
Depending on the primary technique employed, you may or may not need to undress. For a full body massage, most people undress completely. However, you may choose to wear underwear. Your massage therapist will step out of the healing room for your privacy to undress. They will knock and wait until you invite them in for the session. You will be covered with a sheet and blanket at all times during the session except for the area being worked on. You will be encouraged to communicate with your therapist so that any likes or dislikes are made know. This helps you feel safe, secure and relaxed.
- What do I do during a Bodywork Session?
Take 5 to 7 second deep breaths through your nose and exhale through your mouth. If your therapist wants to adjust your position, they will move you or ask you to move. Otherwise, change your position anytime to make yourself more comfortable. Many people close their eyes and relax completely during a session; others prefer to talk. It is up to you. It is your message so whatever feels natural to you is the best way to relax. Do not hesitate to ask questions at any time.
- How will Bodywork feel?
It usually depends on the techniques used. Many massage therapists use a form of Swedish massage, which is broad, flowing strokes to help calm your nervous system and relax exterior muscle tension. As your body becomes relaxed, the pressure will gradually be increased to relax specific areas and relieve areas of muscular tension. Often, a light, a non-oily topical lotion is used to allow your muscles to be massaged without causing excessive friction to the skin. Do not hesitate to ask questions or mention feeling any discomfort so the massage therapist can use another approach or technique.
- Will the topical lotions used make me break-out?
We use an organic, hypoallergenic topical lotion. However, if you have sensitivity to certain types of oils or lotions, please bring it to the massage therapist’s attention a patch test can be performed before application to large areas of your body.
- Is Bodywork always appropriate?
No, there are several medical conditions that would make massage inappropriate. That’s why it is necessary that you complete the health history forms before you begin your session. The massage therapist will ask general health questions to rule out whether you have any contraindications to massage. It is very important that you inform the practitioner of any health problems or medications you are taking. If you are under a doctor’s care, it is strongly advised that you receive a written recommendation for massage prior to any session.
- How long will a Bodywork Session last?
The average full-body massage treatment lasts approximately one hour. We do not do half-hour appointments because this does not allow enough time to adequately benefit you. We offer 60, 90 and 120 minute sessions for optimal benifits.
- How will I feel after Bodywork?
Most people feel very relaxed. Some experience freedom from long-term aches and pains developed from tension or repetitive activity. Many people experience increased energy, heightened awareness, and greater productivity which can last for days. Since toxins are released from your soft tissues during a massage, it is recommended you drink plenty of water following your message. For therapeutic and medical sessions, you will be sore for 24 to 36 hours so it is a good idea to take a hot Epsom or Dead Sea Salt bath to ease soreness and further move toxins out of the body.
- Should I tip my Bodywork Therapist ?
If you are pleased with the service and the results of your bodywork session, then it is a wonderful way to show your gratitude. 15% to 20 % is a standard and 25% to 30% is normal for excellent evidentual results due to your session.
- What payment methods do you take?
We currently accept cash, check, or major credit cards at the time of service. Out of town bodywork is prepaid at the time of appointment reservation.
- Should I talk during my Bodywork?
Many people envision no communication while in a message. We can do this if you prefer, but medically based therapeutic bodywork is a team effort requiring communication in order to achieve the best results possible. This is your treatment, your body and your money. Our goal is to create the best results for you that we possibly can; therefore, some treatments require more feedback than others. Additionally, if you need an adjustment with pressure, temperature in the room, etc., you will need to let your therapist know.
- What if I experience sexual stimulation or an erection?
Men and Women alike can have an uneasy feeling about these during a bodywork session. The Massage Therapist understands this may happen from time to time and will ignore it. If you are still concerned, wear briefs instead of boxers to provide more support during the massage. There is nothing that we will allow to happen to damage the patient/therapist relationship. Not only do we practice according to Texas State Laws of Massage and Bodywork, but we value your health and well-being above everything else. If any type of sexual advance is made by either party, the session will terminate immediately and you could be dismissed from the spa as a patient. Please refer to your release of liability form that you signed for more information.
- Will I have a headache after Bodywork?
This occurs in only 2% of patients and is a result of 3 different factors:
1. Overstimulated circulation to the brain because muscles are now looser and veins have better flow with the heart pumping stronger – If this occurs it normally will not last more that 1 to 3 hours. More often than not, you may feel lightheaded or dizzy for a few minutes after standing up.
2. When working deep tissue or trigger point areas in the neck, we may set off a referral pain pattern that takes 2 to 3 hours to settle down after your session.
3. Tense muscles have lactic acid, toxins, metabolic waste and other types of body trash that gets stuck. After we loosen the muscles, this material returns to the blood system in order to be removed from the body. In this process, the brain can be overwhelmed and cause a throb or ache for 30 minutes to and 1 hour.
- What about flu-like symptoms or body aches after Massage Bodywork?
This occurs in only 1% of patients and is a result of 4 different factors:
1. The body was fighting a virus or bacterial infection before you came in. Since a session accelerates all the functions of the body, an infection can also be accelerated.
2. The body had a high degree of stored waste in the muscle tissue. Loosening the waste released it into the blood. As a result, the body raised its temperature and increased white blood cell count in order to detox the body so it can heal. The byproduct of this detoxification process may make you feel like you have the flu with common body aches and low-grade fever. However, you are only in a state of detoxification.
3. In the process of loosening muscles within a muscle group, we can sometimes upset other muscles. So your pain may appear in a different area or you may be really sore for 1 to 2 hours before you enjoy the amazing effects of being relaxed.
4. In instances of someone with very high levels of pain, there is the very rare potential that touching these muscles in order to loosen and release contractual knots, injured trigger points, my fascia adhesions and sarcomere fiber locks results in an “angry” reaction. They will begin to release and loosen after 3 to 6 hours.
- What are the marks as a result of cupping therapy?
Many patients who receive static or gliding cupping therapy will have marks on the skin that last from 1 hour to 8 days. Most Americans have a perspective that a dark colored area on the skin is a bruise. A bruise, however, is an injury appearing as an area of discolored skin on the body caused by a blow or impact that ruptures underlying blood vessels.
Cupping therapy does not rupture, damage, tear, cut or cause any kind of subsurface bleeding! Cupping uses negative pressure by sucking the skin, tissue, and muscles into the cup which releases that tissue for better circulation and higher levels of oxygen. This usually makes cupping marks. Cupping is a painful type of massage bodywork. Afterwards, though, you will feel amazing since cupping is one of the most effective forms of bodywork, usually reducing pain by 85%.
- How often do I need Bodywork?
Since you are investing time and money into your body. I know you want what I want which is results. My goal is to create amazing results in your life through medically based therapeutic massage bodywork. If you will follow my recommendations, you will see results. Below is my patient plan for the stages of healing to occure:
Weekly Sessions – This stage builds trust between therapist and patient as well as maintains contact with muscle tissue often enough at the beginning to keep you feeling good. As we do this then the muscles begin to develpe memory and will stay looser for longer periods of time. Since we are breaking the pain spasm cycles, it is important to keep them broken or the muscles will revert to their former tight condition. Normally 6 to 12 weekly sessions are recommended.
Every two weeks – In this stage we have got you to the point where you feel good and are moving better. We will seperate a week inbetween in order to make sure that your muscles can stay loose over that period of time. This helps your budget as well as our overall body care plan for helping your body recover from pain, tension, anxiety and discomfort.
Every three weeks – This stage works both the front and back of the body, covering every muscle group during your 1 hour session. You are now aware of why your are hurting as well as what you can do to help prevent it as well as correcting any poor postural behaviors which enhances the effects of your bodywork.
Every month – This stage brings you in every month for 1 hour minimum and addresses every muscle group in order to recalibrate the whole body. However, you may still choose to come weekly or every 2 weeks because you want to do so. Our plan does not assume you will want to do that but if you do you will benifit from it even more.
Special Note: Once at stage 4, your session price is 75.00 per hour. If you do not maintain the monthly sessions, you will revert to a different stage of the body care plan and the session price will increase accordingly. Simply said, If you do not come in for 3 months then you want us to put you back together it will cost you extra because it is a different type of bodywork that will need to be done on you.
- What is Cellular Bodywork?
First of all, cellular bodywork is not a medical treatment, only doctors can treat or diagnose. Secondly, these services are not a cure-all to solve life problems, which sadly has not yet been invented! However, the state of the art therapy modalities employed at ReVive Life Spa are designed to help you engauge in personal responsibilty for your life, health and wellness plan, as well as assist your body in healing as you detoxify (remove from the body) things such as:
*Food additive chemicals
*Pollution toxins absorbed in the skin and inhaled with breathing
*EMF and LMF frequency cell damage due to use of cell phones, microwaves, electic lines, home routers
*Infections from parasites, bacteria, and fungus
*Food, Sugar, Caffine cravings which can control you life
We are here to help your body do what it is designed to do and that is HEAL. It often cannot effectively do this when it is overloaded with toxins, poisons, metabolic waste and lactic acid build up. Besides cellular bodywork, we also promote drinking plenty of filtered water, exercising daily, and eating clean, nutritional foods.